Services & Products
What is FreeBee?
FreeBee from Verizon helps you acquire, influence, and retain your customers by rewarding them with mobile data or by making their mobile experiences free of data charges.
What are my next steps after submitting the Get Started form?
Once the Get Started form is submitted, a sales representative will be in touch within 48 hours. Your information will be confirmed and we will help you set up your business account as well as walk you through the FreeBee set up. Once your My Business account is set up, you will receive an email with steps on how to create a FreeBee account, as well as sign the Terms and Conditions.
Where do I manage Profile/Account information?
After you login to the FreeBee portal, click on "Account Management" and then on the "Profile" page to manage your account info. You can change your password and view the product specific customer agreement in the Profile tab of Account Management. You can also click on the Account tab to edit your account info and view current bill.
How do I manage users?
You can modify users from the 'Users' tab in the Account Management section of the Portal.
Can I set different roles/permissions for each account user?
A user may be assigned as a Point of Contact (POC) or as a general user. Both the POC and general users have full access to the portal features. But, only the POC (or Verizon support) can add, delete, or change user profiles, and only one POC may be assigned per account.
How do I view my service agreements?
After you log in, go to "Account Management" and then to the Profile tab.
How do I change my password?
Once you are logged in, go to Account Management and then to the Profile tab.
I forgot my login credentials, how do I reset my password?
Click on "Forgot my Username" or "Forgot my Password" on the login page here.
I have some questions before I get started. Who can help answer them?
The FAQs section is a great resource and should answer majority of your questions. However, if you still have specific questions, call 888-308-5006 and we’ll be happy to help.
Will there be a sales representative I can work with?
Yes, after the Get Started form is submitted, a sales representative will reach out and be on hand to walk you through the process, answer any questions, and can even provide guidance on creating a campaign that works for you.
What information do I need to have before starting the sign up process?
Fill out the Get Started form and a sales representative from our team will contact you. We will walk you through the sign up process and help you set up a Verizon My Business customer (for billing purposes). You will also need to sign the FreeBee customer agreement. To become a Verizon My Business customer, you will need to provide your sales representative the following information about your company: name, address, phone number, tax ID, DUNS number (optional), point of contact, and corporate email address.
I’m already a Verizon My Business user - do I still need to fill out the Get Started form?
As an existing My Business customer, you will still need to submit the Get Started form. As soon as your My Business account has been verified by a sales rep, you will be asked to sign a FreeBee customer agreement. This portal does not support existing Verizon Enterprise Center customers, so a My Business account will need to be set up.
How do I contact support?
You can reach our support team by calling 888-308-5006. We’ll be happy to help you.
What are your support hours?
Business & Government Customer Operations (BGCO) hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 10 PM EST.
How will I be billed?
Verizon bills FreeBee customers on a monthly invoice basis and invoices are generated based on what your campaign has spent. For billing purposes, we need to conduct a credit check, which will give you the amount of credit you will have with Verizon.
Where do I view my billing?
1. Go to this page and log in: http://sso.verizonenterprise.com
2. Click on the Billing tab.
3. Go to the Statements page.
4. Select the desired bill statement from the left-hand drop down menu (the current bill will be the default).
5. Select the desired account number from the right-hand drop down menu.
6. Click the Display button.
7. You can also download the statement as a .pdf, .csv, or .xml file by using the "Download" drop down menu and clicking the Go button.
You can also view your current bill from Account Management and then on the Account tab in the FreeBee portal.
How do I submit billing related inquiries?
You can call us at 888-308-5006 and talk to a Customer Service Rep about your bill directly.
Creating a Campaign
Can anyone edit a campaign?
Any authorized FreeBee Data account user has the ability to create, pause or edit campaigns.
Can I target my campaign to select regions or consumers?
Currently, FreeBee Data does not support this capability.
What is a FreeBee Data campaign?
A FreeBee Data campaign is determined by the sponsor and is comprised of the URLs that you want to sponsor, the length of time you want to pay for the sponsorship, the type of content you choose and your monthly budget. The FreeBee Data service is organized into individual campaigns in order to provide more control and accountability around your mobile marketing efforts. Campaign creation is the first step in enabling the FreeBee Data service for selected mobile content and features a unique alphanumeric identifier (known as the “Campaign Token”) that allows sponsors to easily track their campaigns.
How do I create a FreeBee Data campaign?
To create a campaign, you first need to create a FreeBee Data account. If you haven’t done so already, submit the Get Started form and a sales representative will help you.
1. Login to the FreeBee portal
2. Click on create campaign
3. Decide if you will use Sandbox (QA tool)
4. Enter the following information:
a. Campaign name
b. Dates that you will run the campaign (if you wish, you can select specific dates)
c. Monthly budget
d. Sponsored domains
Can I create cross-carrier campaigns?
Can I change a campaign once it has launched?
Yes. You can edit your campaign by following these steps.
1. Once logged in, click on campaigns
2. Find the campaign you want to edit and click on it
3. In campaign information, click edit on the right side
Tracking a Campaign
What kind of campaign information can I track?
FreeBee Data provides a variety of campaign metrics including content views, conversion rates, browser types and most popular pages/regions.
How do I track bytes and other campaign metrics?
The FreeBee Data portal features a campaign analytics dashboard that provides detailed, near real-time data on a variety of key metrics including clicks, conversions, total bytes consumed, browser/OS audience and location-based information as well as customizable reports. (Note that billing data included on the metrics dashboard should not be considered a substitute for your actual bill, as the two amounts may vary.)
Modifying, Deleting, or Closing a Campaign
Can I change my campaign budget while a campaign is active?
At any time during a campaign, you can increase or decrease the monthly campaign budget. Verizon reserves the right to change its pricing terms at any time, subject to a 30-day notification to existing FreeBee Data sponsors prior to any price change.
Can I reactivate a paused campaign at a later date?
Yes, provided the campaign has not been archived and that there is budget available. Archived campaigns cannot be reactivated, although FreeBee Data users can open the archived campaign and use the same parameters to create a new campaign. New campaigns will be subject to the most current pricing terms from Verizon.
My campaign stopped suddenly. Why?
Your campaign may have stopped for one of several reasons including:
- An authorized user has paused the campaign
- The campaign budget limit was reached
- The campaign was set to expire on a particular date
- Billing problems
- Possible fraud detection
- Termination of the sponsor’s FreeBee Data account
Verizon reserves the right to pause or deactivate a campaign (or account) at any time, including for breach of the Customer Agreement.
Can I pause or stop an active campaign?
Campaigns can be paused at any time and, if desired, re-started again at a later date. You can also pause or stop a campaign by moving it into the archive folder. Verizon reserves the right to suspend or deactivate an account at its sole discretion.
Can I change a campaign once it has launched?
Yes. The FreeBee Data Portal provides key performance indicators (KPIs) to help sponsors improve and maximize their FreeBee Data results over time. Sponsors can limit, expand, cancel or adjust campaigns at any time via the portal to get the best return on their marketing dollars. Note that pricing models cannot be changed once a campaign has launched, nor can a campaign be extended beyond the limits set by Verizon.
Can I delete a campaign?
FreeBee Data does not have a permanent delete feature. Instead, deactivated campaigns may be securely archived in your FreeBee Data archive folder. Archived campaigns cannot be deleted, as they are intended to serve as a permanent, secure record of your campaign history.
Can I clone or copy previous campaigns to create new ones?
FreeBee Data does not currently support a copy/clone feature for entire campaigns. FreeBee Data sponsors may, however, manually enter the same content and settings to create new campaigns that are otherwise identical to past campaigns.
Reports and Dashboards
Can I customize my dashboard?
FreeBee Data’s widget-based dashboard can be easily customized by adding, moving and removing widgets from your dashboard. To move a section of the dashboard, place your mouse over the section header and a directional icon will appear; click and hold the mouse to drag the section to a different part of the screen. To delete a section, hold the mouse over the section until you see an “X” appear; click on the “X” to remove the section and return it to your widget folder. To add a widget, simply click and hold the mouse over the widget in the Available Widgets section and drag it to its desired location on the page.
What is a conversion rate?
The conversion rate measures the number of visitors who have clicked on your sponsored content, as a percentage of total page visits through the Verizon network. So, for example, if your web page had 500 visitors and 50 of them chose to click on a sponsored content link on the page, the conversion rate for that content link would be 10 percent.
How do I view different metrics for each campaign?
From the Your Campaign section of the FreeBee Data Portal, you can toggle between the Conversion, Total Spending and Unique User charts by using the left and right arrows that appear at either end of the chart. Please refer to your bill for monthly billing statements.
Can I track my campaign by region?
FreeBee Data’s reporting/analytics dashboard features a regional heat map that identifies the five “hottest” regions for your campaign based on total views.
Can I create custom campaign reports?
FreeBee Data allows sponsors to generate custom reports based on individual campaigns, metrics and time periods. These reports can also be filtered to focus on a particular campaign or data point (e.g., total views). At the moment, you are unable to download or export reports.
Where can I view my total spending for all campaigns?
FreeBee Data allows you to quickly track current spending (with a one- to two-hour time delay) for each campaign; this feature is available in the Campaign Reporting screen. Currently, FreeBee Data does not allow you to view spending for all of your campaigns as an aggregate total. Please refer to your bill for monthly billing statements.
How do I view a report for a specific campaign?
You can generate and view a report on a specific campaign by selecting that campaign from the Reports tab. You can also choose to report on a specific time period within a campaign using the From and To calendar tabs above the report.
Can I compare multiple campaign results side by side?
Side-by-side comparison can be done at a high level in the dashboard view. Currently, FreeBee Data does not support detailed side-by-side campaign comparisons online.
Can I export FreeBee Data results to my marketing automation tools?
Yes, FreeBee Data allows you to download and export your campaign results as a PDF, Excel or CSV (comma-separated value) file that can be imported into third-party marketing tools.
Are changes to my dashboard’s appearance saved the next time I log in?
Yes, any changes you make to your dashboard or reports will be automatically saved when you log out and appear the next time you log in.
Does FreeBee Data provide analytics or reporting?
The FreeBee Data Portal features a dashboard and reporting tool that tracks content views and other campaign metrics at an aggregate level. Sponsors can use these tools to track conversion rates, page views, views by device type, campaign spending and more.
What key performance indicators (KPIs) does FreeBee Data measure?
The dashboard and reporting tools featured in the FreeBee Data Portal capture a variety of KPIs that help sponsors better understand and engage users to improve results and retention, including:
- Total number of unique visitors
- Conversion rates
- Total data consumption
- Visitors by region, browser, operating system
- Top active pages
What is the difference between a report and a dashboard?
The FreeBee Data Dashboard is a collection of data results based on all active campaigns at any given time. FreeBee Data Reports offer a detailed view of an individual campaign. In a report, the user also has the ability to view campaign metrics across specific windows of time (e.g., days of the week, time of day, etc.).
What information is displayed on the dashboard?
The FreeBee Data Dashboard features a visual representation of near real-time information on key performance indicators and metrics including:
- Trends: number of active campaigns and unique users, total spending, conversion rates, etc.
- Campaign-specific data: click conversions, spending, unique users
- Heat maps of users by region
- Visits by browser and operating system
- Most popular pages by: total visits, cost, conversions
- Total campaign effectiveness by: cost, conversion, users, downloaded data
Please refer to your bill for monthly billing statements.
Deactivating an Account
How do I deactivate my FreeBee Data account during the beta program?
To deactivate or suspend your FreeBee Data Account, please contact support.
My account has been deactivated – what happened?
Verizon may de-activate an account for violations of the agreement. Please see your Customer Agreement or contact support for more details.
What are the technical limitations of the FreeBee Data service?
The FreeBee Data service is designed to support many, but not all, possible usage scenarios. Sponsors must follow the Integration Guide instructions to ensure the FreeBee Data service works as expected. In addition, the FreeBee Data service does not support the following usage scenarios:
- When a subscriber is connected via a Wi-Fi network, the FreeBee data service will turn off automatically.
- If a subscriber is using a third-party proxy that interferes with the FreeBee Data service, sponsored content may not appear as sponsored or the FreeBee Data service may not be available.
- The use of custom HTML tags and attributes containing URL references is not supported. If a custom tag or attribute contains a URL reference, the Verizon APIs, SDKs, SSP and Proxy are not aware of these customizations and therefore are not able to correctly configure the URLs for the FreeBee Data service.
- Content streamed directly from a website.
- Server redirects and dynamically generated URLs cannot be configured for use by the FreeBee Data service and thus are not supported.
- Content on some third-party apps such as YouTube and Google Maps cannot be sponsored using the FreeBee Data service, as these sites use custom meta properties to display their content.
- Subscribers cannot share FreeBee Data links (e.g., forwarding a sponsored link in an email). Also, sponsored links are only valid while a subscriber is on a Verizon network.
- The FreeBee Data service will not work with any images, videos, content retrieved via redirection or dynamically generated pages that are not properly signed during the Integration process.
General Technical Integration
Why would I choose the API integration method over the SDK method?
The API approach provides the most control for implementing FreeBee Data, allowing you to optimally sponsor content URLs for your particular solution and implementation design. The SDK approach allows for quick integration with minimal work, but makes an assumption on how your mobile content is put together.
How does the HTTP Connect FreeBee Data integration work?
- A campaign must be created via the FreeBee Data portal. A Campaign Token is automatically generated and provided to you when a campaign is successfully created.
- The client (mobile application or website) makes an authorization request to the FreeBee authorization server using the content provider domain, the specific port, and the campaign token.
- The FreeBee authorization server validates the request by checking it against the campaign parameters—whether the campaign is currently active, properly funded, and associated with the requested domain. On a successful request, the service returns information needed to establish a connection to the FreeBee HTTP Connect proxy server.
- The client will establish a secure FreeBee Data session using HTTP Connect with the proxy server IP, port and domain provided in the authorization response.
How does the SDK FreeBee Data integration work?
- A campaign must be created via the FreeBee Data portal. A Campaign Token is automatically generated and provided to you when a campaign is successfully created.
- The Campaign Token, along with the content URLs to be sponsored, are passed from the client (mobile application or website) to the FreeBee Data authorization server, via the convenience functions provided in the SDK.
- The FreeBee authorization server validates the request by checking it against the campaign parameters—whether the campaign is currently active, properly funded, and associated with the requested domain. On a successful request, the service returns an instrumented URL that will allow the request to be sponsored, along with necessary parameters described in the SDK documentation.
- The sponsored URLs are used by the mobile application or website to deliver content free of data charges to subscribers.
How does Rest API FreeBee Data integration work?
There are two FreeBee Data APIs used to integrate on the client side.
- The Authorization API instruments your content URLs to sponsored URLs. Sponsored URLs contain data to help Verizon’s network identify sponsored content, so that subscribers are not charged for the data. The Authorization API validates that the implementation of your campaign token and sponsored URLs is valid. Once you have that validation, you can add a notification to your content, which must follow the notification guidelines.
- The Confirmation API is used to verify that the service implementation is correct and that all sponsored content has been identified and will not be charged to the end user. A successful call returns information to the developer, indicating whether to show the FreeBee Data in-session notification, which is available in our image files. Please follow the notification guidelines when using the FreeBee Data service.
An additional step may be required for your integration, depending on the type of content you wish to sponsor.
What are the technical limitations of HTTP Connect method?
HTTP Connect is not for use with websites (it must be used with custom developed web browser applications) and is limited to TCP-based traffic. It does not support uninterrupted protocols—for example, User Datagram Protocol (UDP), voice protocols (i.e. SIP), or protocols that require mixed protocol use (i.e. XMPP: a protocol commonly used for real-time chat, which initiates connections over TCP but relies on UDP for message transfer).
This solution is only applicable to mobile applications and supports HTTPS traffic only. Redirected URLs are not sponsored with this solution. Third party content and libraries are not automatically sponsored, either (please use our sandbox environment guide to ensure such third party content is properly sponsored). HTTP Connect will add a small delay when downloading content.
When do I need to integrate FreeBee Data APIs (or SDKs)?
Once the Campaign Token has been successfully created through the campaign creation process.
What mobile platforms does the FreeBee Data service support?
The API integration approach can be used for any web page or mobile application on Android or iOS.
Does FreeBee Data impact how long it takes to load content?
Yes. During pre-validation of sponsored URLs, there is approximately 100ms of latency added during the authorization request. For sponsored content routed through the FreeBee Data Proxy, latency is increased due to the additional hop from inserting the proxy, which instruments the URLs in-line of the data path.
What are the FreeBee Data integration methods?
- HTTP Connect is an app-based integration solution and is part of Verizon's service. It does not need to be installed or downloaded by the sponsor. The solution forwards traffic through a Verizon transparent proxy server to the intended destination domain. HTTPS content can go through this tunnel without being decrypted and maintains the integrity of the certificates generated by the sponsor.
HTTP Connect is suitable for sponsoring traffic generated by mobile applications, with some limitations. This can include supporting information generated by third party Software Development Kits (SDKs), dependent on how it invokes network requests.
- SDK is used to sponsor a specific content such as video clips, not an entire website or app. The SDK includes a notification method for the end user so that they are aware of when content is sponsored. This method can be used for both mobile applications and websites.
- REST API allows for sponsorship of content through RESTful APIs. The APIs allow developers to sponsor content for both mobile applications and websites. Unlike the SDK, this method requires the developer to generate notification functionality that needs to be approved by Verizon.
How do I choose the right integration method?
The decision on which integration method to use should be based on: development requirements for your website/mobile application, the need to customize notification methods, and the need to have convenience functions for sponsoring content.
Why would I choose HTTP Connect integration method over the SDK/API method?
You would choose the HTTP Connect method when you want to sponsor all or part of an application that does not use third party SDKs: HTTP Connect establishes a tunnel between the mobile application client and the remote server. Once the tunnel is established, all traffic from the application to the content provider domain will be sponsored.
Why would I choose SDK/API integration method over HTTP Connect method?
You would choose the SDK/API integration method if you want to sponsor a particular piece of content within an application (such as video, an advertisement or a game): SDK/API integration methods are used to authorize specific known URLs that need to be sponsored.
Client-Side Integration (Restful APIs)
When will the FreeBee Data icon be displayed?
The FreeBee Data API calls provide validation for your campaign. Upon successful validation, you must follow the Freebee Data notification guidelines for your sponsored content. The subscriber will see the FreeBee Data notification (aka, “bee”) and will know that the content is sponsored.
The bee will not display when:
- A subscriber is on a Wi-Fi network.
- Web content is viewed on platform-native media players. For example, web videos opened in native iOS browsers will not display the bee, although the data will still be sponsored.
The bee must not be displayed when:
- The APIs (Authorization and/or Confirmation) return “not authorized.” In that case, it is the sponsor’s responsibility to ensure that the bee does not display. If the bee does inadvertently display (which can happen due to the presence of redirects or dynamically generated content that is not properly signed) and subscribers are charged for content indicated as free, then the sponsor is responsible for any billing errors (due to that incorrect integration and content signing under the FreeBee Data service).
As a developer, how do I control the FreeBee Data service notifications when using the FreeBee Data APIs?
We provide usage guidelines that illustrate how the bee should look. If your use case falls outside one of the categories in the guidelines, please contact us.
Server-Side Integration: FreeBee Data Proxy (Only for SDK/API Integrations)
What is the FreeBee Data Proxy?
The FreeBee Data Proxy is Verizon’s simple integration method for sponsors when server-side integration is required. Server-side integration will be required when your mobile content involves third-party servers, redirects, and HTTPs-based flows. The FreeBee Data Proxy is introduced automatically between the mobile browser/application and the sponsor’s server, which means less integration work for you.
When do I need to integrate the FreeBee Data Proxy?
Based on your mobile application or web content and its complexity, server-side integration may be required.
FreeBee Data Proxy
Web page elements
Supports (12/16 to confirm)
Why would I choose the FreeBee Data Proxy?
The FreeBee Data Proxy is the simple method of integration when your sponsored content lives on multiple servers, including third-party servers and redirects. Additionally, the proxy solution requires less work for you because Verizon hosts and manages this solution.
What level of code changes is required for the FreeBee Data Proxy?
You do not need to do anything to integrate with our FreeBee Data Proxy. Verizon hosts the FreeBee Data Proxy, so there is no additional work for you.
Who should I contact for any technical or support-related issues?
Please contact FreeBee Support for any technical issues involving the FreeBee Data service or the portal.